Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Why Is Our Mule Deer Herd Declining?

If you live in Utah or any of the western states and you’re a hunter I guarantee you’ve heard this topic. Or it’s a topic and discussion that you’ve been involved in. And the reason why is because it is a problem. It’s all I’ve been hearing about since I started hunting when I was 15 years old. My first mule deer hunt was actually right after 92-93. Two of the harshest winters that Utah has ever seen and the winter kill was staggering. I was reading a Hunting story before i start my hunting.


I got lucky enough to kill a decent buck in 94 though. Through word of mouth and from other hunters on the same mountain that I was hunting on, apparently I was the only one to kill a deer that day on that mountain. And it was true my shots were the only shots I heard that day.  This mountain usually has dozens and dozens of hunters crawling it on opening day. So it’s always crowded and it was on that day as well.

We wrote an article on some reasons why the mule deer herd is declining here in Utah. We’ll post it on here as soon as it gets published.
How are the mule deer herds doing in your state? We’d also like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this subject as well.
Be safe and good hunting my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment